Escarole and White Bean Soup
Escarole and White Bean Soup 3½ fork user rating
Makes 4 servings
- 1 head escarole (1 pound), tough ribs discarded and leaves thinly sliced (8 cups)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped
- 1 large celery rib, cut diagonally into 1/8-inch-thick slices
- 2 carrots, cut diagonally into 1/8-inch-thick slices
- 2 (13 1/2- to 14 1/2-ounce) cans chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 (16- to 19-ounce) can white beans such as cannellini, rinsed and drained
- Accompaniment: grated parmesan
Cook escarole in a 6- to 8-quart pot of boiling salted water until tender, about 5 minutes, then transfer with slotted spoon to a large bowl of ice and cold water to stop cooking. Drain escarole in a colander, pressing gently to remove excess water.
Heat oil in a 5- to 6-quart heavy pot over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté onion, garlic, celery, and carrots, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 8 minutes.
Add chicken broth and water and bring to a boil, then add escarole and beans and simmer, uncovered, until carrots and celery are tender, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.