I have tried to make carnitas multiple times in the crockpot and although they usually turn out pretty tasty, I always miss the crunchy bits that you find when you order carnitas out. However after doing some research on carnitas, I stumbled across an amazing trick. All it takes to add that crunchy texture is a quick trip to the oven before serving. Baked or broiled at a high temperature for just a few short minutes will create lots of texture and crispy bits that make these carnitas taste like the real thing.
Slow Cooker Carnitas
Serving Size: about 3/4 cup
Nutritional Info: 224.9 calories, 7.7g of fat, 1.3g of carbohydrates, .1g of fiber, 25.8g of protein * 6 P+
- 2.5 lbs. pork shoulder,lean only, trimmed of fat
- 1 onion, diced
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1-2 diced chipotle peppers and 2 tbsp adobo sauce
- 3/4 cup light beer or chicken broth
- 1-2 bay leaves
- Season the pork with salt and pepper. Place it in the crockpot.
- Mix together the remaining ingredients in a bowl and pour over the pork.
- Cook for 6-8 hours on low until the pork is fork tender and easily shreds.
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees. Lay pork out in a single layer on a non-stick baking sheet. Roast for 4-5 minutes until the edges become crispy and toasted.